Some of us are revelling in the heat wave and can't get enough of that fantastic tan. Some of us are not having such a lovely time of it. Whichever side of the fence you stand it remains important to be able to cool down if you need to.
Here are a few tips for staying cool.
- Drink lots of water! Staying hydrated is the key to maintaining and regulating the body's temperature. It is desirable to sweat as it's a natural way that we keep cool and to support this we need lots of water. Squash or pop are not as good but better than nothing!
- Stay in the shade, especially between 11am and 3pm as these are the times that the sun is at its strongest and most likely to give you sunburn.
- Dress in loose-fitting cotton and wear a hat with a brim. Shoes that won't make your feet hot will help too. We love flip-flops despite their bad reputation - just remember that they do alter the way you walk so get used to them gradually.
- Freeze your sheets! I know it sounds daft but if you pop your sheets in the fridge or freezer for half an hour before you go to bed you'll find it a lot easier to fall asleep. Or put ice packs under the sheets (beware don't put ice directly on your skin).
- Cool down your hot zones. Placing an icepack (wrapped in a tea towel) on these spots will help to cool you down a lot quicker - Ankles, Behind the knees, Wrists, Elbow bends, Neck, Temples.
- Get Spicy. Weird but true; spicy food can help you cool down by increasing blood circulation and in turn gets you sweaty. As discussed above, sweating cools you down.
- Make your own ice pops. There are lots of suggestions online for these and they are all delicious, cooling and refreshing.